There are so many challenging things about being a sports parent or guardian. One daily battle for sports families is coming up with quick and healthy snacks for before and after practices or competitions. We have all been there… getting home from work and hustling to get the kids packed and out the door. What is often overlooked is having enough snacks to get athletes properly fueled. Families often end up purchasing hot dogs or burgers at the concession stand or frantically making a fast-food stop because the kids are hungry and complaining in the back seat.
Sometimes it is hard to think of the best snacks when you are in a hurry or need to prepare snacks that can be eaten on the go. SportsEngine has put together a list of the most popular and highly recommended foods purchased by sports parents looking to satisfy youth athletes' hunger while also fueling them to perform at their best during practices and games!
Snack ideas: before practice or game
Processed, high-carb snack options are often the quick and easy choice for families rushing out the door to get to practice or games on time. Check out the snack ideas below for healthy options that are lower in carbs and higher in protein that can get keep your athlete optimally fueled and performing at their best.
- Whole-grain pretzels with peanut butter
- Half of a wheat bagel with peanut butter
- Fresh fruit (strawberries, oranges, apples blueberries, or grapes!)
- Build your own trail mix: Raisins or other dried fruit with peanuts
- Carrots, celery, a pita, and hummus
- Banana with peanut butter or almond butter
- Pretzel with a laughing cow or Babybel cheese
Snack ideas: after practice or game
If you're packing snacks for the whole team to enjoy after the game, follow along this Team Snack Checklist to avoid common allergies, too many carbohydrates, caffeine, and more.
- Applesauce and string cheese
- Real Fruit Smoothies
- Real Fruit Popsicles
- Trail Mix
- Apple slices with peanut butter
- Half a peanut butter sandwich on a bagel
- Lunchmeat roll-ups (pick your athlete's favorite lunch meat and roll it up with a slice of cheese for the perfect protein punch!)
Build your grocery list with items from the recommended snack list and you'll have everything you need to quickly prepare snacks during the rush between work and sports. When families provide their youth athletes with snacks that help improve their game and recovery, everyone wins!