The 2016 Rio Olympics saw it all. Rio saw legends add to already unfathomable medal hauls, cementing their ironclad places in history. It saw rising stars burst onto the scene and then steal the show. It saw scintillating performances challenge our conventional notions of what's possible; moments of humanity remind us what's really important. It saw greatness, true greatness, shine more brightly than any Olympic flame.
It wasn't easy to pick just 16 top moments from an Olympics this memorable, but here they are:
- Michael Phelps wins fourth straight 200m IM, one of six medals in Rio, 28 overall
- Usain Bolt, world's fastest man, can't be touched as he completes 'triple-triple'
- Simone Biles becomes first U.S. gymnast to capture four golds in one Games...
- ... while veteran Aly Raisman takes home three more medals of her own
- Katie Ledecky sets a new, impossibly-high standard in women's swimming
- Neymar's penalty clinches Brazil's first Olympic men's soccer title
- Ashton Eaton defends crown as world's greatest athlete
- U.S. basketball cements women's and men's dynasties
- Fiji wins first-ever Olympic medal in first-ever Olympic rugby sevens tourney
- Ibtihaj Muhammad makes history as first American woman to compete in a hijab
- Kerri Walsh Jennings loses bid for fourth straight gold, rebounds to pull out bronze
- Abbey D'Agostino helps competitor up after fall, runs mile on torn ACL to finish race
- Andy Murray becomes Olympic tennis' first back-to-back champion
- Team Refugee swimmer Yusra Mardini wins heat
- Mo Farah notches long-distance 'double-double' in 5000m and 10,000m
- Golf returns to the Olympics after 112-year absence