The amazingly gifted Santiago Munez, a young immigrant living in the barrios of Los Angeles, has an impossible dream -- to play soccer for a world-class team. Unexpectedly getting a tryout with one of England's premier soccer clubs, Newcastle United, Santiago finds himself totally alone in a world where soccer is a religion and the players are gods. Now he not only has to prove he has the passion, talent, and determination to make it alongside the best in the world, but he has to overcome his own demons and those of others. Filled with memorable characters, great heart, and real-life soccer legends, GOAL! THE DREAM BEGINS is a triumphant story about believing in your dreams.
- Besides being good at soccer, what other qualities do you think Glen sees in Santiago that makes him want to recruit him for Newcastle United?
- Compare the relationship between Santiago and the people in his life: his father, his grandmother, Glen, Gavin, and Roz. What similarities and differences can you find?
- Why does Santiago’s father have such a hard time accepting his love of soccer?
- Does Santiago possess qualities of a Triple-Impact Competitor®? Explain.
- What life lessons does Santiago learn from Erik Dornheim, the manager for Newcastle United?
Our partner, Positive Coaching Alliance, provides a collection of movie discussion guides, which aim to help you make the most out of movie viewing with your team or child. Movies provide many of "teachable moments" parents can share with their young athletes helping them be successful, contributing members of society.