From director Robert Redford comes a film that celebrates the power and potential of the human spirit. Will Smith, Matt Damon, Charlize Theron star in this highly-acclaimed tale of a local hero with a promising future whose hopes are shattered on the battlefields of war. The disillusioned young man turns his back on the world – until a fateful visit from a mysterious stranger turns his life around. Visually stunning and emotionally compelling, The Legend of Bagger Vance is genuine movie-making magic sure to entertain and inspire audiences for years to come.
- What steps does Bagger Vance take to help get Rannulph Junuh’s life and golf game back on track?
- What are some mental tips suggested by Bagger that help Junuh overcome his personal demons and mental block?
- How does the game of golf help Junuh recover from the trauma of World War I?
- When Junuh disregards Bagger’s advice, he tends to play poorly. What does this indicate about trusting your coach as an athlete?
- With a chance to win the tournament, Junuh calls a penalty stroke on himself. Is this kind of integrity important? What would you have done in that situation?
- When Bagger leaves Junuh at the end of the match, what does this indicate about Junuh’s character? Has he matured? Is this why Bagger left?
- Golf tends to be known as a game where opponents respect each other. Is that true in this film as well? Is that important in just golf or for all sports?
Our partner, Positive Coaching Alliance, provides a collection of movie discussion guides, which aim to help you make the most out of movie viewing with your team or child. Movies provide many of "teachable moments" parents can share with their young athletes helping them be successful, contributing members of society.