Academy Award® winner Denzel Washington shines in REMEMBER THE TITANS. Based on real events, this remarkable story celebrates how a town torn apart by friction and mistrust comes together in triumphant harmony. After leading his team to fifteen winning seasons, beloved football coach Bill Yoast (Will Patton) is demoted and replaced by tough, opinionated Herman Boone (Washington). How these two men overcome their differences and turn a group of hostile young men into champions is a remarkable portrait of courage and perseverance. You and your family will never forget the Titans!
- Coach Boone demands perfection of his team (“drop a pass, run a mile, miss a tackle, run a mile”). Is this an example of positive coaching?
- How can sports bring some people of different backgrounds and beliefs together, as illustrated in the movie? How can it drive a wedge between others?
- What was the most difficult thing for the players to adjust to? (Think not just on the football field, but at home as well).
- Describe some sacrifices made by both coaches as well as Gerry Bertier and Julius Campbell. Why were they willing to make these sacrifices?
- What elements of injustice and inequality shown in the movie are still relevant today? How can coaches, parents, and mentors use sports to help overcome them?
Our partner, Positive Coaching Alliance, provides a collection of movie discussion guides, which aim to help you make the most out of movie viewing with your team or child. Movies provide many of "teachable moments" parents can share with their young athletes helping them be successful, contributing members of society.