Our mobile phones are the best and worst part of each day. We justify our addiction by the need to be connected with our loved ones and the office. If we had the discipline to use our phone for just those reasons, we would all be healthier and happier. However, we don't. The chemical dependency (the dopamine drips as we scroll social media) and emotional pressure to keep up with our pseudo- friends on social media is why Phonomaladritis has become an epidemic in today's world. Make no mistake about it, this is a disease both adults and children battle daily. Let's review the symptoms:
1. Inability to amuse or entertain yourself in the real world.
2. Bored within 5 minutes without a screen or text message alert.
3. Poor Posture and minimal eye contact with other human beings.
4. Constant concern with other People's opinion on social media.. and in life.
5. Belief system and sources of knowledge all premised on Youtube and Google.
6. Daily need to share insignificant news and activities with the world.
7. Fear of sitting quietly in public or outside without immersed in a screen.
8. Thinking that the world cares about your daily life.
9. Conversation skills that fall way below average someone your age.
10. Slight panic attacks when you misplace your phone or the battery dies.
11. Doubling homework assignments or work project time because of constant phone
No one is saying to ditch your phone but slight changes in habits may go a long way in
reconnecting with yourself and others:
-Realize you will have vision problems in life due to the slammed, crammed and jammed visual habits of excessive screen time. Go out and play or read a real book.
-Learn to eat again without the scrolling part of the meal and engage in real time conversation with your eating group.
-Commit to learn more about life by being IN life and interacting in real time with others.
-Call your loved ones before it's too late to even text them.
-Believe half of what you read and watch on social media is accurate.
-The only opinion that matters in your life is your own. Eliminate the need to glorify and show others how great your life is through posts and following.
Get crazy and see if you can go a half day or a few hours of being unplugged from your phone. We all have 1440 minutes a day to work, play, learn and cherish the world.
Don't let Phonomaladritis hold you back from being your best version of you.